Super Tuesday


Super Tuesday started early. Although I was in Houston, I set the alarm for 4:45 a.m. the night before. I had an early morning breakfast meeting to attend. I planned to arrive between 6:30 and 6:45. You’re thinking I’m nuts. Why did I need to get up at 4:45 to arrive anywhere two hours later? My hotel was at the Galleria and the location of my meeting was only fifteen minutes away. You’re obviously forgetting that I needed to post my blog.

I had written my blog the evening before and had carefully crafted my words to get it right. I even remembered to save the document. At least I thought I did. Around 11:00 p.m. as I negotiated checking Google for information on Corrigan’s transatlantic flight, something happened and I lost the document. I was slow to connect the dots. How could I lose a document that I had saved? You tell me because I don’t know. I then wasted fifteen minutes of precious time attempting to locate the information. Like I said, I had carefully crafted much of what I’d written. Like it or not, it was gone.

Gone also was my ability to concentrate. Half awake, I attempted to remember what I had written as I tried to duplicate the script. My near perfect photographic memory (that is a joke) was flawed. A few minutes after midnight, I set the alarm for 4:45 and went to bed. It was going to be a short night. If there is an upside, I met the deadline, got my blog rewritten, posted and arrived at the meeting at 6:35.

The breakfast meeting recharged my battery. It was a gathering of business people in the Houston area who look for opportunities to assist nonprofit agencies in meeting the needs of those they serve. Their sense of calling is to invest their skill set, expertise and financial resources to literally become the hands and feet of Christ. The nonprofit organizations presenting an overview of their work yesterday morning literally covered the expanse of the world. Wow! The needs being addressed to make a long-term impact were many. In addition, I had an opportunity to personally visit with a host of people who take the privilege of helping others seriously.

I was in my Houston office by 10:00 a.m. and in nonstop meetings until 1:15. Looking at the clock, I opted to get on the road by 1:30. I needed to get to the polls before 7:00. In case you’re wondering, I don’t miss casting my ballot in the Presidential primary. I am only one, but my vote is important to me. It is not just a privilege to cast a ballot, isn’t it also and obligation to do so? Can you imagine living in a country where you were not afforded that privilege?

As it turned out, Super Tuesday didn’t prove to yield what I anticipated. I didn’t make it back to Dripping Springs in time to vote. Actually, I didn’t even come close. How was I to know there would be an accident between Houston and Sealy that would require closing the Interstate? Initially the backup manifested itself as a bottleneck. It was stop and go traffic. You know the drill, you finally accelerate and reach the speed of twenty miles an hour only to then have to find your brakes, come to a complete stop and then start the process all over again.

Why not make the best of it? I opened the sunroof and rolled down the front windows. I like sunshine and I like the outdoors, why not focus on those elements and attempt to forget that I was going nowhere fast. Going “nowhere fast” is an interesting play on words. Like it or not, that was my reality. So what do you do when you finally realize that nothing is moving? I opted to put the car in park, get out of my car and walk around. After all, it could be a long wait. Who said I wasn’t brilliant? I was right. The traffic was stopped for over well over two hours.

What I can’t figure out, it was one of the few venues where I could have texted in traffic or checked my email, yet I did not. I did think to remind myself often that I was grateful not to be at the head of the line and be the person responsible for backup. So what if I missed my first Presidential primary? It wasn’t the end of the world and by the time I finish my morning blog today, it will all cease to be in the purview of my memory. For the folks involved in the accident, it could literally be life changing event.

As it turned out yesterday, I opted to have lunch/dinner in Sealy. I then opted to get off of IH-10 and take the back road through New Ulm. It wouldn’t be nearly as fast, but it would be a more enjoyable trip home. Two and a half hours later as I was making my way through Austin traffic, I remembered a friend who is in the hospital. I would be driving past the hospital, shouldn’t I stop? “Couldn’t it wait until today? Maybe, maybe not?” I was having that conversation in my head as I drove past the hospital. I had the thought, “Well, I guess I just made my choice”.

My absence of thoughtfulness weighed heavily on either my head or my heart. Maybe it was both? I took the next exit and went back to the hospital. Simply having the opportunity to offer an encouraging word seemingly was the catalyst that changed her demeanor. She was smiling when I left. Truthfully, the brief visit probably did more for me than it did for her, but I was grateful I invested the time.

So my full day ended pretty much as it began. The breakfast meeting I had attended recharged my battery. The visit with my friend did so as well. Life is good! It really was a Super Tuesday!

All My Best!





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s